St. Joseph's Church, Park Street

St. Joseph's Church, Park Street, 1900

alt

  • Foundation stone laid: 15th May 1898
  • completed by 1900 and blessed on Sunday 18th March 1900 by Cardinal Logue. Parish Administrator was Rev. Patrick Keown.
  • Architect for St. Joseph's Church was William Hague, County Cavan (1836 - 1899). He also designed the spire of St. Macartan's Cathedral, the Bishop's House, Cathedral Lodge and presbytery adjoining St. Joseph's Church
  • The site of St. Joseph's Church and Presbytery was acquired by Bishop Owens from Lord Rossmore in September 1897.
  • Previous church on Park Street, known as the Old Town Chapel, built in 1824, stood on the site of St. Macartan's Hall. where St. Joseph's Pastoral Centre is located.

St. Joseph's Church: A Church Renewed

St. Joseph's Church underwent a major refurbishment between March 2011 and October 2012. The architect was Gerry Loughrey, Derry, a specialist in church architecture, and the building contractor was Francis Mc Guigan Builders, Clontibret.

St. Josephs New

January 2013 (P. Doherty)

Sanctuary

Sanctuary (P. Doherty)

St. Josephs New 1

October 2012 (J Chester)

New Gallery

January 2013 (P. Doherty)

Organ

Organ Pipes (P. Doherty)

Baptismal Font

The Font in the centre (P. Doherty)

Reconciliation Chapel

The Reconciliation Chapel (P. Doherty)

 

St. Joseph's Church before March 2011

alt

Photo by Donal Mc Enroe

A smaller church stood on the site of St. Macartan's Hall before St. Joseph's Church was built. This chapel was built in 1824 and is shown in the photo immediately below. A plaque positioned above the door of the old church is now inset in the front wall of St. Joseph's Parish Pastoral Centre and reads 'this chapel was erected by the people of the parish in 1824.'

alt

After the completion of the cathedral in 1892 a decision was taken to build a larger church and a presbytery.  The cathedral's architect, William Hague designed the new St. Joseph's Church and on Sunday 15th May 1898 the foundation stone was laid. The new church was named St. Joseph's at a dedication ceremony celebrated by Michael Cardinal Logue, Archbishop of Armagh (1840 - 1924) on Sunday 18thMarch 1900. The presbytery adjoining the church is of the same period.

alt

By Tuesday evening 8th March 2011 the seats were removed 

alt

alt

Working on the roof of St. Joseph's Church - Summer 2011

alt

 

alt

 

alt

Looking onto Park Street from the roof of St. Joseph's Church - Summer 2011

alt

The tower adjoining the roof at the front of the St. Joseph's