The Celebration of Penance
Penance is the celebration of God's Mercy
Confessions: Saturday, St. Joseph's Church: 12 noon to 1p.m.
Rite 1 of Penance is celebrated each Saturday.
At the close of Advent and Lent Rite 2 of Penance is celebrated in St. Joseph's Church
Celebrating Penance with Rite 1: Penance is the celebration of God's mercy and love by an individual penitent in the presence of a priest. The rite happens as follows:
• The penitent begins by stating how long it has been since previous confession, ‘Bless me Father, for I have sinned, it is ....... since my last confession. These are my sins...........'
• Confession of sins
• Act of Sorrow: The penitent can say ‘O my God, I thank you for loving me, I am sorry for all my sins, for not loving others and for not loving you. Help me to live like Jesus and not sin again. Amen.'
• Prayer of Absolution: The priest prays the prayer of absolution; ‘God, the Father of mercies, through the Death and Resurrection of his Son, has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.'
• Penance: The priest may give a penance
• Dismissal: The priest ends the celebration with ‘Your sins are forgiven, go in peace.'
Rite 1 (in Irish) i nGaeilge:
Áthar is (am) ó mo fhaoistín caite. Cabhraigh liom a Dhia na hamanta nár mhair mé mar a d'iarr Íosa orm.
Niorr thaispeánn mé grá nuair ...............(mo pheacaí)
Gníomh Aithrí: A Dhia, gabhaim buíochas least as ucht do ghrá dom. Tá brón orm faoi mo pheacaí uile: Nach raibh grá agam duitse ná do dhaoine eile. Cabhraigh liom mó shaol a chaitheamh ar nós Íosa agus gan peaca a dhéanamh arís. Amen.
An Maithiúnais:Thug Dia, Athair na trócaire, an domhan chun athmhuintearais leis féin trí bhás agus aiséirí a Mhic, agus chuir sé an Spiorad Naomh inár measc chun na peacaí a mhaitheamh. Tri fhriotháil na hEaglaise go dtuga sé maithiúnas agus síocháin duit. Agus tugaimse maithiúnas duit i do pheacaí in ainm an Athar agus an Mhic + agus an Spioraid Naoimh. Amen
Moladh Dé agus slán
Rite 2 of Penance is a communal celebration of penance in which the community gathers to participate in the Word of God, examination of conscience, act of sorrow and the individual confession of sins and reception of absolution as outlined above, followed by the Lord's Prayer in common, and ending with a concluding prayer and blessing.
Rite 3 of Penance is celebrated under strict norms only in danger of death. In this rite the priest administers the prayer of absolution for all sins, even for those not confessed by the penitent.